~oOo~

2008-05-02

When I'm done with the last paper . . .


This weekend, I'm working away on one final history paper on mid-twentieth century feminist historians and Native American women's history--if you're interested in details, check back in a month when I have more perspective! But in the part of my brain not preoccupied with academic writing, I'm happily assembling the beginnings of a summer reading/viewing list. At the top are . . .
  • Rapture Ready!: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture, by Daniel Radosh. I don't know what it says about me that at the end of term, what sounds most appealing to me is to pick up a rollicking bit of journalism that allows me to laugh at the "parallel universe" of Christian fundamentalist evangelicals . . . but this one's at the top of my list.
  • My latest issue of the journal Radical Teacher, which just arrived in the mail this evening, is the first of a year-long subscription I picked up with Christmas money, and I look forward to perusing it. Ms. also has a new issue out I haven't had a chance to look at.
  • Tasha Alexander's latest mystery featuring you widow Emily Ashton, Fatal Waltz, is out in bookstores and I'm looking forward to a bit of historical-mystery-romance escapism if I do say so myself.
  • He's a Stud, She's a Slut, and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know, Jessica Valenti's latest, is unlikely to have anything terribly mind-blowing, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless--when someone offers you astute feminist analysis in a book that doesn't require note-taking to make sense of it, why not spend an afternoon enjoying yourself?
  • My friend Joseph gave me Anne Fadiman's collection of essays, At Large and At Small, at Christmastime and I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet found time to read it.
  • Plus, I still have the last four episodes of Torchwood, season one, waiting to be watched, and Hanna reports that Prince Caspian is opening in the weekend of Simmons' graduation.
So I'm sure I will have no trouble filling my leisure time . . .

I have a few other more substantive post ideas that I hope to work on after my brain recovers--check back in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment