~oOo~

2012-08-01

blogging at In Our Words: holding the space: being good allies for our straight co-conspirators

these folks desperately need allies (via)
I'm blogging at In Our Words again this week, with a post on how queer folks can be good allies for straight folks. This was a piece pitched by the blog editors that I thought was an interesting concept, and once I started thinking about it I realized I had some notions (I know, right?!) about how we might go about that. I ended up with one concept, five specific tips, and a word of caution. Here's one of the tips:
While remembering fluidity is possible, it’s equally important to honor a person’s present self-identification. After all, we expect straight people to respect ours. Regardless of a person’s past relationship history or how they may identify in the future, it’s a basic tenet of respect to accept their self-understanding in the here and now. I’m as guilty as the next queer person when it comes to speculating who might be “on our team,” but too often attempts to uncover queer sexuality in straight-identified folks fall back on harmful stereotypes of sexuality and gender that reinforce, rather than subvert, heteronormativity (e.g. “he’s a ballet dancer, how can he expect us to think he’s straight?” or “that haircut is totally dykey”;  wink wink, nudge nudge). We need to trust straight people, as much as we trust queer people, to name their own desires as best they can.
Check out the rest at In Our Words.

If you're a straight reader, I'd love to hear what you think queer folks can do to support your own resistance to heteronormative bullshit. And if you're queer, I'd love to hear how you support your straight family and friends.

Share in comments, here or at IOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment